Tuesday 17 February 2015

Hickman Lines...

My latest treatment is not strictly medical, involves no clinician and is neither hospital of surgery based. I am attending a 'Living Well with the Impact of Cancer' course,  run by the Penny Brohn Charity & funded by Douglas Macmillan.

Its an interesting combination of psychological strategies, healthy eating / nutritional advice & research based 'Whole Person' healing. We are an assorted group of eleven people; all effected by cancer, either as living with, supporting or having treatment for the 'Big C'. Because we all start with a common base of being cancer patients or partners, we don't have to explain or ...., there is a commonality, a link and an immediate trust. Two of the three days are now gone and lots of useful detail, well presented and actively participated in.

But its not the data or research, the advice or the science that really strikes home, its the sharing. We are all on individual paths along a journey of coping with cancer and in sharing / pooling the experiences & knowledge we've each gleaned along  the way, we are actively supporting & challenging each other; its a caring conspiracy.

So how does this work, what's it like in practice? Well the best example is from one of my fellow course participants who has just learnt that she has to have a 'Hickman Line' fitted. This piece of medical kit is a central venous catheter used to administer chemotherapy and allow for the withdrawal of blood samples. She & her husband had spent a troubled weekend worrying about this procedure and came to the group with this in mind. When this was voiced immediately people started to contribute; reassuring, commenting and supporting. In particular one lady, who had previously had this done, actually showed the area she had  had the Hickman Line inserted. As she did so, I saw fear become diluted and reality and curiosity step in. The fact that something is no longer unknown makes it more understandable & acceptable. It doesn't take away the problem, but makes it a challenge with an achievable  outcome ~ it normalises it!

And for me, hearing that others, like me, had some relatives and friends who were less than supportive this hit a strong note and made me feel, "It's not just me". Also, I have been given license to say to people if I don't want to talk about cancer, I'm having a cancer free day and that is so liberating.



Most poignantly, one participant in telling of a friends reaction said, " I still have cancer,, its not curable, four years on...". This opened a door for me, lifted a blind and I could see ahead, I had a future. Where has this taken me; my mum still struggles, my brother doesn't speak to me and I am still incurable? But  its about communication, taking back the control  & looking at my whole self... moving on.


And do I need a Hickman line, well no; my chemo is over, my veins intact, but I've begun to see an easier way of living with cancer. Ironical, in that my maiden name was Hickman, so I have an original and definitely  direct 'Hickman' Line ~ its  called hereditary. Thanks Dad!




No comments:

Post a Comment