Monday 4 May 2015

Hearing the message...

Back in France for the 2015 season and sorting the gite for forthcoming guests. 2014 was a strange old year as I was diagnosed in the UK, with cancer, hence France and all things French had to go on hold. Operations & treatments over we have returned to France to re-establish our life here and build on our dreams.

As part of the after effects of the chemotherapy I have  hearing loss, which hopefully will repair, but in the meantime is a source of confusion, frustration & amusement in equal measures. So it was that on our journey back across the channel with our son all geared up to working on the house & land that several misheard words & phrases became a point of great hilarity.

It stated with the restaurant on the ferry & my confusion that the  dishes didn't quite sound right and as we had taken our own Coca-Cola with us, we might be asked to " Walk the plonk". Seems like I'm hearing French in a 'Hello, Hello' manner. Soon I'll be " Just p****ssing by" and saying this "only vunce"

The journey to our farmhouse was equally as crazy when , as son read out the name of one junction, instead of Saint James, I thought he said " Sid James"... a strange name for French village...oh well 'Carry On'.

Well at least my French brain does not seem to lag behind like my English chemo brain. I can't help wondering if its mostly more recent knowledge & that 'primacy recency rule' applies i.e what was the last thing to learn is the first remembered. Maybe its simply that the demand & supply of French words & grammar is more limited so I've less expectation & less of the language to loose. If so, it really would be a case of, ' Less is more'  and knowing my ears it really would be more or less 'Toulouse'.

No comments:

Post a Comment